Friday, June 17, 2011

Not having a car...is really great

Last night I went out with a few friends in Dupont Circle for dinner and drinks.  We started at the Lucky Bar and then moved on to the Mad Hatter just down the street.  Washington, DC has a fairly comprehensive metro system and is also very walkable.  No need for a designated driver, no worrying about parking tickets/spaces, no need to worry about how I was going to get home.  It is marvelous...

After living in LA for so many years and dealing with traffic, I am realizing that I am in such a better mood without having to spend 2 hours a day fighting with other cars on the 10 freeway.  Here are some other things I've observed and enjoy about the city:
  1. People watching - On the metro there are so many different people.  Women with really cute dresses and shoes, men in suits, kids, and tourists speaking all sorts of different languages.   It can get a bit busy during rush hour, but getting poked by an umbrella is a lot better than getting rear-ended by a car.
  2. Window-shopping - As I mentioned, everyone walks so stores have really fascinating window displays to attract customers.  One of my favorites is Kramerbooks, they have all kinds of books plus a cafe/restaurant in the back.  There is also a Krispy Kreme right next to the Metro entrance and the hot sign is usually on, so many temptations!
  3. Architecture - Many of the buildings have really ornate stone work with carved arches and spires.  St. Matthew's down the street looks like a small, red stone church from the outside, but the sanctuary inside has a glorious, gilded dome with an intricate mosaic depicting scenes from the life of Jesus. 
  4.  History and Culture - I haven't even begun to explore yet, but this is a city filled with memories.  So many memorials dedicated to soldiers and past wars.  It is sobering to see the lists of the dead and to wonder who they were in life.  I think my favorite place so far is the Lincoln Memorial because the words of the Gettysburg Address ask us to renew our dedication to unity as a nation - fitting words in these divided times. 
  5. Important people everywhere - Working on Capitol hill gives me access to the basement subway that connects the Senate, Capitol and House buildings.  Underground all of the buildings is a labyrinth of hallways and doorways all leading off to unknown locations.  I imagine this is what Hogwarts might be like with hidden stairways and secret chambers.  I've bumped into senators in the hallway and see the news crews covering hearings.  (I apologize for the vagueness here, I'm not supposed to give too many specifics on work).

No comments: